Re: make concurrency kit a module

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2017 08:34:30 -0700
On 17 May 2017 at 23:37, Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 11:53 PM, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 06:04:09PM -0700, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>>> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D10778
>>>

>> Except there are plans to use it elsewhere. Many areas may be improved using it.
>>
>> Having it as a module would mean some devs might refrain from using it because
>> there is no waranty for it to be there
>>
>> Areas like VFS and network stack could have a good benefice from using it.
>>
>> Out of curiousity what size is saved?
>
> I'd planned on using it newbus to solve the lifetime issues we have
> with device_t's....

I'm happy with things using it in base outside of the linuxkpi.

I'm just trying to push back on the "death by a thousand cuts" that
the IOT platforms face for size constraints. There's plenty of stuff
in the base kernel that storage challenged platforms don't need but
they're not introduced or kept as modules.

It's 2017 and people /are still/ making embedded boards with 8MB of NOR flash.

-adrian