Re: Bug in make setting wrong MAKESYSPATH

From: Thomas Mueller <mueller6722_at_twc.com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 01:43:25 +0000
>From Simon J. Gerraty:

> > Thomas Mueller <mueller6722_at_twc.com> wrote:
> > For building the system, MAKESYSPATH should be $SRCDIR/share/mk , to be in sync.

> > I tried "make -V MAKESYSPATH" from several SRCDIRs, and that's what happened.

> Yes.  If you look at share/mk/src.sys.env.mk
> it detects that it was found via a .../ path, and replaces it in
> MAKESYSPATH with the actual location - otherwise some makefiles break.

> > So maybe I have to set MAKESYSPATH every time I am in ports, don't
> > know if this would work from /etc/make.conf (need to experiment).

> Probably not, because sys.mk will have already been found before that
> ie. the damage may already have been done

> > I wonder what would happen if there is no FreeBSD installation at all
> > on partition where ports tree is located.

> An error like:

> make: no system rules (sys.mk).

I go into /BETA1/usr/ports/ports-mgmt/synth , run
env MAKESYSPATH make all-depends-list
and then it seems to work correctly with no syntax error in
/BETA1/usr/share/mk/bsd.compiler.mk

Maybe I need to file a bug.

What happens if src, ports and doc trees are installed on an NFS share, where there would be no FreeBSD installation?

Tom