Re: (head users) 64-bit inodes: Packages heads up and Poudriere errors

From: Ed Maste <emaste_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 13:58:32 -0400
On 26 May 2017 at 12:18, Kurt Jaeger <lists_at_opsec.eu> wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> For those running FreeBSD head, the ABI was majorly changed in r318736
>> for 64-bit inodes.  This change was *backwards compatible* but not
>> *forward compatible*.  This is normal and expected.
>
> Is any fall-out from this change already handled or is it wise
> to wait a few more days ?

All fallout I'm aware of is due to either taking a shortcut and
skipping the reboot after installing the new kernel, or running a
custom kernel without COMPAT_FREEBSD11 in the config (required to
support running the old world on the new kernel). Both of these are
(now) explicitly called out in UPDATING. So as long as those steps are
followed it should be fine.