Re: NFS client perf. degradation when SCHED_ULE is used (was when SMP enabled)

From: Rick Macklem <rmacklem_at_uoguelph.ca>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2017 20:16:53 +0000
I wrote:
[stuff snipped]
> So, I'd say either reverting the patch or replacing it with the "obvious change" mentioned
> in the commit message will at least mostly fix the problem.
"mostly fix" was probably a bit optimistic. Here's my current #s.
(All cases are the same single threaded kernel build, same hardware, etc. The only
 changes are recent vs 1yr old head kernel and what is noted.)

- 1yr old kernel, SMP, SCHED_ULE                94minutes
- 1yr old kernel, no SMP, SCHED_ULE         111minutes

- recent kernel, SMP, SCHED_4BSD              104minutes
- recent kernel, no SMP, SCHED_ULE           113minutes
- recent kernel, SMP, SCHED_ULE,
   r312426 reverted                                          122minutes
- recent kernel, SMP, SCHED_ULE                 148minutes

So, reverting r312426 only gets rid of about 1/2 of the degradation.
One more thing I will note is that the system CPU is higher for the cases that run
with lower/better elapsed times:
- 1yr old kernel, SMP, SCHED_ULE            545s
- 1yr old kernel, no SMP, SCHED_ULE       293s
- recent kernel, no SMP, SCHED_ULE        292s
- recent kernel, SMP, SCHED_ULE             466s

cperciva_at_ is running a highly parallelized buuildworld and he sees better
slightly better elapsed times and much lower system CPU for SCHED_ULE.

As such, I suspect it is the single threaded, processes mostly sleeping waiting
for I/O case that is broken.
I suspect this is how many people use NFS, since a highly parallelized make would
not be a typical NFS client task, I think?

There are other changes to sched_ule.c in the last year, but I'm not sure which
would be easy to revert and might make a difference in this case?

rick
ps: I've cc'd cperiva_at_ and he might wish to report his results. I am hoping he
      does try a make without "-j" at some point.