Re: Head build unsafe for /etc today

From: Bryan Drewery <bdrewery_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2017 19:08:50 -0700
> On Nov 2, 2017, at 18:49, Steve Kargl <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:

>> Unfortunately I only test with META_MODE these days which implies -DNO_CLEAN.
>
> You're making changes to the build infrastructure and you're
> not properly testing it before committing?  This is beyond
> pointyhat material.

I ran 2 universes, dozens of buildworlds and buildkernels, dozens of installworld and installkernel, several xdev and native-xtools, several full DIRDEPS_BUILD builds and bootstraps, ran subdir builds, ran subdir cleans, tested several targets together, ran various special case tests for submakes, played around with a ton of MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX cases, handled and tested symlinked objdirs special, ran it through my work repro a few times, did special testing in rescue/, and had a volunteer test release.  In the process  I found a bmake bug, GPL_DTC build bug and several others I don’t recall from the bus.

What I missed was the “clean” buildworld because I forgot it even exists. I’ve wanted to remove it for a year. I also forgot to test buildenv.

By the way the bug ran into here was 3-4 years old and I avoided the exact case in some new code but missed that the problem was already existing subtly in bsd.obj.mk.

Having said all of that, I certainly don’t do so much testing normally but these changes warranted the time I put in.