Re: watchdog timeout problem

From: Ernie Luzar <luzar722_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2017 08:56:03 -0500
YongHyeon PYUN wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 02, 2017 at 10:13:15AM -0400, Ernie Luzar wrote:
>> Posted this 10/31/2017  got no reply.
>>
>> Been getting these error messages since about release 10.0 I think.
>> Have changed to new hardware box and new cable modem and still having
>> the same error messages. Also occurs when I use em0 interface to connect
>> to the public internet instead of vge0.
>>
>> vge0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>
>>         metric 0 mtu 1500
>> 	options=389b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,
>>         WOL_UCAST,WOL_MCAST,WOL_MAGIC>
>> 	ether 00:0b:db:19:33:18
>> 	hwaddr 10:00:60:21:00:93
>> 	inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask 0xfffff000
>>         broadcast 255.255.255.255
>> 	nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
>> 	media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex,master>)
>> 	status: active
>>

>> Oct 30 23:43:38 fbsd kernel: vge0: watchdog timeout
>> Oct 30 23:43:38 fbsd kernel: vge0: link state changed to DOWN
>> Oct 30 23:43:42 fbsd kernel: vge0: link state changed to UP
>>
>> 11/2/2017 posting this now as a update
>>
>> I have continued to research this problem.
>> The "man watchdog" says that the command,
>> watchdog -d  will provide debugging info, and
>> watchdog -t  will set a new timeout timer value
>>
>> When I issue either of those commands I get this error message
>> watchdog: patting the dog: Operation not supported
>>
>> The man page also says a value of -t 0  disables the watchdog function.
>>
>> Issuing "watchdog -t 0" does not get that above error message, but the
>> watchdog function is still enabled because I am still getting the
>>
>>  kernel: vge0: watchdog timeout
>>  kernel: vge0: link state changed to DOWN
>>  kernel: vge0: link state changed to UP
>>
>> messages.

For the archives.

After a lot of trial and error testing finally determined the cause of
this problem is ddclient. When I disable ddclient from running those
messages stop happening.

ddclient is a dynamic DNS auto updater written in perl. I have now
deinstalled ddclient and written my own dynamic DNS auto updater sh
script that I am calling dynip with intention to add it to the port
system later.