Re: Does https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/disks-growing.html need updates because of cylinder checksums (ufs cotnext)?

From: Mark Millard <markmi_at_dsl-only.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 23:26:29 -0800
On 2017-Nov-22, at 10:30 PM, Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com> wrote:

> There was a window when growfs didn't work with checksums. Maybe you have a growfs from before 324499?
>
> Warner

This was today in a head -r325997 context that has been a
-r325997 from its first creation: the creating environment
was also -325997 (but had been -r325700 some time back and
has history going back to 11 and 10).

No such console notices prior to following those
instructions. But I was not in sight of the console
during the sequence or later for a while.

> On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 11:12 PM, Mark Millard <markmi_at_dsl-only.net> wrote:
> After following the procedure in:
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/disks-growing.html
>
> to shrink a swap partition and grow a ufs file system
> I'm now getting cylinder checksum failure notices.
>
> Should the directions be updated in some way?
>
> Or should growfs be updating something that is
> is not now updating?

More context:

amd64 guest under a Windows 10 Pro Hyper-V but
the filesytem is "directly" on a PCIExpress 3
Optane (no NTFS or such on that device). (The
kernel and initial /etc/fstab are from a .vhd
file on NTFS. The fstab points to / being on
the Optane. The root file system is not split
across multiple mount points.)

===
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net