Re: C++ in jemalloc

From: Ian Lepore <ian_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2017 10:17:45 -0600
On Fri, 2017-10-06 at 09:04 -0700, Conrad Meyer wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 9:58 PM, Mark Millard <markmi_at_dsl-only.net>
> wrote:
> >
> > Luckily most kernel and world code that I actively use
> > does not throw C++ exceptions in my use.
> >
> > But devel/kyua is majorly broken by the C++ exception
> > issue: It makes extensive use of C++ exceptions. In my
> > view that disqualifies clang as being "close": I view
> > my activity as a hack until devel/kyua is generally
> > operable and so available for use in testing.
> I don't think that is a major roadblock; a broken port is a broken
> port.  Kyua is a relatively unimportant one for most users.  In this
> particular case, maybe kyua (a leaf binary) could be built with GCC
> instead of Clang on any platform with broken C++ exceptions.
>
> Best,
> Conrad

It isn't about "a broken port".  All C++ code is broken if exceptions
don't work.  That means devd is broken.  Not to mention clang itself.
 It may be that neither of those relies on exceptions for routine
operation and uses them only for error handling, and errors mostly
don't happen.  There is plenty of C++ code in the world where
exceptions are used in non-fatal-error cases and where the applications
just don't work at all without them.

-- Ian