RFC: Removing hpt* drivers from GENERIC

From: Colin Percival <cperciva_at_tarsnap.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 21:43:36 +0000
Hi developers,

I'd like to remove the hpt* drivers from GENERIC.  These are the drivers
for the HighPoint storage hardware -- SATA (hptnr) and RAID (hpt27xx, hptiop,
hptmv, hptrr).

My reason for wanting to remove them is that the hpt27xx and hptnr drivers
spend ~150 ms in their DEVICE_PROBE routines every time the system boots.
Since they are roughly 1000x slower than the median driver, this is clearly
excessive; unfortunately the time is being spent inside a binary blob, so
there is no apparent way to fix the drivers.  (The other three drives from
the same vendor -- hptiop, hptmv, and hptrr -- don't exhibit this particular
bug, but I don't see any strong argument in favour of not removing them along
with the two problem drivers.)

All of these are available via kernel modules, so the impact upon users
should be minimal.  Obviously I would not plan on MFCing this change.

Any objections?

--
Colin Percival