Host CPUTYPE?=bdver2 unable to build release target for CPUTYPE?=slm

From: Alastair Hogge <agh_at_fastmail.fm>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 12:59:30 +0800
Hi,

I am attempting to build a release ${SRC}/release/release.sh -c
${custom_release.conf}, however, the build fails with:

make[1]: "/scratch/fafnir/usr/src/Makefile.inc1" line 162: SYSTEM_COMPILER:
Determined that CC=cc matches the source tree.  Not bootstrapping a cross-
compiler.
>>> World build started on Fri Oct 27 00:41:56 UTC 2017

>>> Rebuilding the temporary build tree

>>> stage 1.1: legacy release compatibility shims
===> tools/build (obj,includes,all,install)

>>> stage 1.2: bootstrap tools
===> lib/clang/libllvmminimal (obj,all,install)
===> usr.bin/clang/llvm-tblgen (obj,all,install)
===> usr.bin/clang/clang-tblgen (obj,all,install)
===> kerberos5/tools/make-roken (obj,all,install)
===> kerberos5/lib/libroken (obj,all,install)
===> kerberos5/lib/libvers (obj,all,install)
===> kerberos5/tools/asn1_compile (obj,all,install)
yacc: 4 shift/reduce conflicts.
===> kerberos5/tools/slc (obj,all,install)
===> usr.bin/compile_et (obj,all,install)
===> usr.bin/fortune/strfile (obj,all,install)
===> usr.bin/dtc (obj,all,install)
===> usr.bin/lorder (obj,all,install)
===> lib/libopenbsd (obj,all,install)
===> usr.bin/mandoc (obj,all,install)
===> usr.bin/rpcgen (obj,all,install)
===> lib/liby (obj,all,install)
===> usr.bin/yacc (obj,all,install)
===> usr.bin/xinstall (obj,all,install)
===> usr.sbin/config (obj,all,install)
===> usr.bin/vtfontcvt (obj,all,install)
===> usr.bin/localedef (obj,all,install)
In file included from /scratch/fafnir/usr/src/usr.bin/localedef/collate.c:50:
In file included from /scratch/fafnir/usr/src/lib/libc/locale/collate.h:42:
/scratch/fafnir/usr/src/lib/libc/locale/xlocale_private.h:168:18: warning:
passing 'long *' to parameter of type 'volatile u_long *' (aka 'volatile
unsigned long *') converts between pointers to integer types with different
sign [-Wpointer-sign]
        atomic_add_long(&(obj->retain_count), 1);

[log trimmed]

===> usr.sbin/crunch (installconfig)
===> usr.sbin/crunch/crunchgen (installconfig)
===> usr.sbin/crunch/crunchide (installconfig)
===> usr.sbin/unbound (installconfig)
===> usr.sbin/unbound/daemon (installconfig)
===> usr.sbin/unbound/anchor (installconfig)
===> usr.sbin/unbound/checkconf (installconfig)
===> usr.sbin/unbound/control (installconfig)
===> usr.sbin/unbound/local-setup (installconfig)
===> usr.sbin/uathload (installconfig)
===> usr.sbin/uhsoctl (installconfig)
===> usr.sbin/usbconfig (installconfig)
===> usr.sbin/usbdump (installconfig)
===> usr.sbin/ac (installconfig)
===> usr.sbin/lastlogin (installconfig)
===> usr.sbin/utx (installconfig)
===> etc (installconfig)
ELF ldconfig path: /lib /usr/lib /usr/lib/compat
32-bit compatibility ldconfig path: /usr/lib32
make: "/usr/src/Makefile" line 313: warning: "LC_ALL=C date" exited on a signal
make[1]: "/usr/src/Makefile.inc1" line 162: SYSTEM_COMPILER: Determined that
CC=cc matches the source tree.  Not bootstrapping a cross-compiler.
make[2]: "/usr/src/release/Makefile.ec2" line 9: warning: "date +-%Y-%m-%d"
exited on a signal
make[2]: "/usr/src/release/Makefile.azure" line 20: warning: "date +-%Y-%m-%d"
exited on a signal
make[2]: "/usr/src/release/Makefile.gce" line 22: warning: "date +-%Y-%m-%d"
exited on a signal
make[2]: "/usr/src/release/Makefile.vagrant" line 32: warning: "date +-%Y%m%d"
exited on a signal
make[2]: "/usr/src/release/Makefile.vagrant" line 35: warning: "date +%Y.%m.%d"
exited on a signal
make[2]: "/usr/src/release/Makefile.ec2" line 9: warning: "date +-%Y-%m-%d"
exited on a signal
make[2]: "/usr/src/release/Makefile.azure" line 20: warning: "date +-%Y-%m-%d"
exited on a signal
make[2]: "/usr/src/release/Makefile.gce" line 22: warning: "date +-%Y-%m-%d"
exited on a signal
make[2]: "/usr/src/release/Makefile.vagrant" line 32: warning: "date +-%Y%m%d"
exited on a signal
make[2]: "/usr/src/release/Makefile.vagrant" line 35: warning: "date +%Y.%m.%d"
exited on a signal
>>> World build started on

>>> Rebuilding the temporary build tree
Illegal instruction (core dumped)
*** [_worldtmp] Error code 132

make[1]: stopped in /usr/src
1 error

make[1]: stopped in /usr/src
*** [buildworld] Error code 2

make: stopped in /usr/src
1 error

make: stopped in /usr/src

Command exit status: 2

I have three other hosts that I build for, the only major difference between
each hosts is the collections of ports, wireless/wired options in the kernel,
and CPUTYPE. The build host is built with CPUTYPE?=bdver2, the others hosts
are btver1, corei7, corei7-avx, and slm. There used to a core2 host, but I
retired it, however, I mention it because it built successfully.

The failed build log above is from the bdver2 host building a release for the
slm host, all other builds complete without error.

If I use the slm config and make build{kernel|world} from ${SRC}, the build
completes, if I populate a jail with stock or my bdver2 distribution set, the
build also succeeds, the only time the slm build fails is during
${SRC}/release/release.sh on the bdver2 host.

Is it possible to build a x86_64 Silvermont release from an AMD Bulldozer? Why
does the regular build from the top of the source tree complete and the one
from the release sub directory fail? I normally export the custom builds via
NFS, tho, I still need release images and distribution sets.

The release build with customisations works on the slm host itself, it just
takes too many hours.

$ cat /etc/slm-make.conf:
ALWAYS_CHECK_MAKE=      YES
CPUTYPE?=               slm
DEFAULT_VERSIONS=       bdb=5 linux=c7_64 ssl=openssl
LICENSES_ACCEPTED+=     MSPAT
KERNCONF=FAFNIR
MALLOC_PRODUCTION=
MODULES_OVERRIDE=       vmm
WITH_PKG=               devel
WITH_SSP_PORTS=

$ cat /etc/bdver2-make.conf:
ALWAYS_CHECK_MAKE=      YES
CPUTYPE?=               bdver2
DEFAULT_VERSIONS=       bdb=5 linux=c7_64 ssl=openssl
LOADER_FIREWIRE_SUPPORT=
LICENSES_ACCEPTED+=     MSPAT
KERNCONF=               DIREWOLF
MALLOC_PRODUCTION=
MODULES_OVERRIDE=       linux_common linuxkpi linprocfs linsysfs linux64 \
linux vmm
QT4_OPTIONS=            CUPS
TEX_DEFAULT=            texlive
WINE_CROSS_BUILD=
WITH_NVIDIA_GL=
WITH_PKG=               devel
WITH_SSP_PORTS=

Thanks,
Alastair
--
Some people have no respect for age unless it's bottled.