Re: NFSv3 issues with latest -current

From: Rick Macklem <rmacklem_at_uoguelph.ca>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 13:13:31 +0000
Yuri Pankov wrote:
> All file operations (e.g. copying the file over NFSv3 for me) seem to be
> stuck running the latest -current (r325100).  Reverting just the kernel
> to r323779 (arbitrary chosen) seems to help.  I noticed the "Stale file
> handle when mounting nfs" message but I don't get the "stale file
> handle" messages from mount, probably as I'm not running any linux clients.
These kinds of problems are usually related to your net interface device
driver or the TCP stack.

A couple of things to try:
- Disable TSO (look for a sysctl with "tso" in it).
- Try using mount options rsize=32768,waize=32768 to reduce the I/O
  size. Some device drivers don't handle long chains of mbufs well,
  especially when the size is near 64K.
(These issues have been fixed in current, but if a bug slips into a net driver
 update or ???)
- Look at recent changes to the net device driver you are using and try reverting
  those changes if you can do so.
- Capture packets and look at them in wireshark (which knows NFS) and see
  what is going on the wire.

There hasn't been any recent changes to NFS that should affect NFSv3 mounts
or to the kernel rpc, so I doubt the NFSv4.1 changes would be involved.

rick