[RFC] future of drm1 in base

From: Johannes M Dieterich <jmd_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2017 22:02:57 -0400
Dear current/x11,

please CC me on responses.

I am writing you on behalf of the FreeBSDDesktop team concerning the
future of drm1 in base.

drm1 in base supports the following GPUs:
* 3dfx Banshee/Voodoo3+ (tdfx)
* ATI Rage 128 (r128)
* ATI Rage Pro (mach64)
* Matrox G200/G400 (mga)
* Savage3D/MX/IX, Savage4, SuperSavage, Twister, ProSavage[DDR] (savage)
* SIS 300/630/540 and XGI V3XE/V5/V8 (sis)
* VIA Unichrome / Pro (via)

Since their original introduction up to 2010 these drivers have mostly
been maintained as part of larger cleanups. The newest hardware drm1
supports dates from 2004, if I am not mistaken, and most of the
hardware is AGP-based.

With the introduction of graphics/drm-next-kmod which brings its own
drm.ko following the Linux notation, we are facing collisions between
these old drivers' drm.ko and the newer one.

We would like to hear if anybody still runs CURRENT on machines housing
the above GPUs and relies on drm1.

If there are still a significant number of people running CURRENT on
this hardware in production, we would be willing to make a
graphics/drm-legacy-kmod port.

Thanks,

the FreeBSDDesktop team