Re: [RFC] future of drm1 in base

From: Mark Johnston <markj_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2017 16:53:08 -0400
On Mon, Sep 04, 2017 at 01:28:38PM -0700, Kevin Bowling wrote:
> I wasn't subscribed to -x11 earlier but do want to add some commentary
> to this thread.
>
> The language describing these drivers in upstream is not at all
> ambiguous WRT to how bad these are and Linux distributions have
> dropped them:
>
> <cut>
> menuconfig DRM_LEGACY
> bool "Enable legacy drivers (DANGEROUS)"
> depends on DRM && MMU
> select DRM_VM
> help
>  Enable legacy DRI1 drivers. Those drivers expose unsafe and dangerous
>  APIs to user-space, which can be used to circumvent access
>  restrictions and other security measures. For backwards compatibility
>  those drivers are still available, but their use is highly
>  inadvisable and might harm your system.
>
>  You are recommended to use the safe modeset-only drivers instead, and
>  perform 3D emulation in user-space.
>
>  Unless you have strong reasons to go rogue, say "N".
> <cut>
>
> There seems to be some kind of misunderstanding that removing these
> drivers is taking something away from users.  I disagree.  It does
> _not_ deorbit HW support.  We'd be giving users a supportable and
> secure experience by dropping them.  For 2d desktop it is likely that
> a framebuffer is fast(er) as David states.  On any reasonable CPU 3d
> (like the server models people pointed out) may even be faster using
> llvmpipe.

I don't disagree in principle with removing the drivers, but if it's
done it should be done for a good reason. I addressed the issue of the
KLD name collision below, but security concerns are a more valid
motivation for removing them. OTOH, the legacy drivers are not included
in GENERIC kernels, so we're effectively doing the same thing as
upstream Linux by making them opt-in by default, albeit without the
scary warning.