Re: head/lib/clang/freebsd_cc_version.h , FREEBSD_CC_VERSION : When is it supposed to update?

From: Dimitry Andric <dim_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2017 08:58:36 +0200
On 7 Sep 2017, at 01:54, Mark Millard <markmi_at_dsl-only.net> wrote:

> When is:
>
> head/lib/clang/freebsd_cc_version.h
>
> supposed to have:
>
> FREEBSD_CC_VERSION
>
> updated? Back on 2016-May-23 Bryan Drewery wrote on the lists:
>
>> A critical note to toolchain developers, or anyone who touches the Clang
>> or GCC source files.  If you modify these files or add a new target
>> architecture into Clang, please bump the revision in the appropriate file:
>

> (It has moved since then.) Does this still apply?
>
> The most recent FREEBSD_CC_VERSION update was the clang 4 -> clang 5 transition:

For clang, I update FREEBSD_CC_VERSION much more conservatively now,
since bumping it requires everybody to do a full compiler bootstrap
during buildworld.  Basically only when:
* A major update is imported, such as going from 4.0.0 to 5.0.0.  Since
  that touches many files, it is better to ensure all parts of world are
  built with the new major version.
* There is a bug in the system compiler, preventing some or all users
  from building (parts of) world.

-Dimitry