Re: openbsd 6.0 or 6.1 guest on freebsd-12 (current) host

From: Jason Tubnor <jason_at_tubnor.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2017 09:55:24 +1000
On 8 September 2017 at 00:28, Alan Somers <asomers_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> Do you have a semiautomated way to move bhyve instances between
> different hosts?  Without such a feature, we can't replace all of our
> ESXi machines.

We are not using bhyve for those workloads (yet).  Our vsphere environment
still has life left in it but we never want to bet on one horse (I've been
in too many positions where vendor lock has occurred and its been painful
and expensive).  However, where there are single hosts instances out at
remote branches, it is bhyve all the way where we use to use individual
instances of ESXi.

So for your use case, it isn't there yet, but, if you don't need live
migration, using zfs and/or iSCSI you could tool something together for
offline migration of guests between hosts.

Allowing you to get closer to the operating system (unlike the abstraction
that is vsphere/ESXi), gives you the ability to take the excellent tools
that FreeBSD has to offer and make them fit your application.