Re: extending the maximum filename length

From: David Wolfskill <david_at_catwhisker.org>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2017 10:21:25 -0700
On Sat, Sep 09, 2017 at 01:15:31AM +0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
> Has anyone using freeBSD ever increased NAME_MAX (filename maximum
> length) and have any experience with it?
>
> We ($JOB) would recompile the entire system so intra-system
> compatibility would probably be ok, and we have our own filesystem
> which would support it.
>
> But I wonder if anyone has tried it and hit unexpected problems.

Not *strictly* a "filename length" issue, but one thing I (think
I) recall encountering a while back was an (88-character?) upper
limit on the length of the full pathname of a mount point.

So that could prove ... annoying (if I actually recall correctly,
and the situation has not changed since).

Peace,
David H. Wolfskill				david_at_catwhisker.org
http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/donald-trump-playbook-1.4265374