Re: Removal of catman from base

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 06:32:30 +0000
--------
In message <CANCZdfoxE8HAAE+PVTVOuSYtTYg7rgXcUMMwrAk0Lp0tGu9qaA_at_mail.gmail.com>, Warner Losh writes:

>Back in school, our SunOS 3, SunOS 4 and VAX running BSD 4.{2,3} we had to
>run a special ditroff [...]

ditroff = Device Independent Troff

The original troff were hardwired to the C/A/T photo-typesetter which
by the time of SVR bare existed in the market anymore.

Ditroff took a configfile and emitted a documented output, which a
device-dependent postprocessor would convert into something the
actual hardware understood.

I think I wrote about a dozen ditroff config+preprocessor combos during
the late 1980ies.