Re: net/asterisk13: memory leak under 12-CURRENT?

From: Guido Falsi <madpilot_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 09:05:42 +0200
On 09/26/2017 15:41, O. Hartmann wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 15:06:23 +0200
> Guido Falsi <madpilot_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Since I run net/asterisk with automatic module loading (I'm new to asterisk),
> this is very likely and might cause the problem somehow.

You can exclude single modules from autoloading via modules.conf.

>> Not sure, restarting the daemon should free any leaked memory the daemon
>> has. If a killed process leaves memory locked at the system level there
>> should be some other cause.
>
> Even with no runnidng asterisk, memory level drops after the last shutdown of
> asterisk and keeps that low. Even for weeks! My router never shows that high
> memory consumption, even under load.

But while asterisk is running does the memory usage increase unbounded
till filling all available memory or does it stabilize at some point?

Asterisk is relatively memory hungry, especially with all modules
enabled. It also caches and logs various information in RAM, even doing
"nothing" it will cache and log that "nothing" activity. If memory does
stabilize after some point it's not really a leak but it's standard
memory usage. To reduce it you should disable all unused modules.

> The question would be: how to use vmstat to give hints for those familiar with
> memory subsystems to indicate a real bug?
>
> I tried to find some advices, but maybe my English isn't good enough to make
> google help.

I'm not able to give you a correct indication, but if the memory usage
is not increasing indefinitely but is stabilizing I'd say it's not
really a leak.

--
Guido Falsi <madpilot_at_FreeBSD.org>