Re: clang manual page?

From: Steve Kargl <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2018 17:50:01 -0700
On Thu, Apr 05, 2018 at 05:30:04PM -0700, Pete Wright wrote:

> On 04/05/2018 17:15, Steve Kargl wrote:
> > This assumes that a gcc(1) is available on the system.
> >
> > % man gcc
> > No manual entry for gcc
> >
> > If the system compiler is clang/clang++, then it ought to be
> > documented better than it currently is.  Ian's suggests for
> > 'clang --help' is even worse
> >
> > %  clang --help | grep -- -std
> >    -cl-std=<value>         OpenCL language standard to compile for.
> >    -std=<value>            Language standard to compile for
> >    -stdlib=<value>         C++ standard library to use
> >
> > Does <value> == <language>?
> >
> a quick google search turns up the following additional information:
>
> "clang supports the -std option, which changes what language mode clang
> uses. The supported modes for C are c89, gnu89, c99, gnu99, c11, gnu11,
> c17, gnu17, and various aliases for those modes. If no -std option is
> specified, clang defaults to gnu11 mode. Many C99 and C11 features are
> supported in earlier modes as a conforming extension, with a warning.
> Use |-pedantic-errors| to request an error if a feature from a later
> standard revision is used in an earlier mode."
>
> https://clang.llvm.org/docs/UsersManual.html

Yeah, I know how to use google.  The above leaves out the clang++
-std=<language>, er, <value> values.  One can guess at some of the
<value> from https://clang.llvm.org/cxx_status.html.  There is no
mention of any of the gnu C++ <value>.  I'll also note that the
above list does include -std=iso9899:1990, which clang appears to
accept (but does clang silently igonore the option like other GCC
options).

An option as fundamental as -std=<value> should be fully documented.
A user should not have to resort to the almighty google to use the tools
supplied by the system.

--
Steve