Re: anyone running with ngroups increased from 16?

From: Rick Macklem <rmacklem_at_uoguelph.ca>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 12:12:53 +0000
Julian Elischer wrote:
>On 16/4/18 6:37 pm, Julian Elischer wrote:
>> Windows users seem to have an almost unlimited number of groups and
>> soem places seem to use them a LOT.
>> This gives Posix systems problems with deciding how to handle them
>> all. Especially when getting
>> user credentials from winbindd (samba).
>>
>> Does anyone know of any work done to either bypass this limit or to
>> at least expand it?
>
>I mean with the other applications such NFS usages etc.
>I know mountd explodes with > 16..  has anyone done a cleaning pass?
16 is the limit "on-the-wire" per RFCs for Sun RPC. You can use
nfsuserd --manage-gids (see "man nfsuserd")
on the NFS server so that the daemon uses the group list for the uid in the RPC instead of the list of groups (limited to 16) in the RPC header. Works fine so
long as the server knows the same group list for a uid as the client(s) do.

And, yes, this applies to NFSv3 as well as NFSv4.

rick