Re: Nvidia issue with CURRENT

From: Kevin Oberman <rkoberman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 08:19:25 -0700
On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 1:53 AM, Mateusz Piotrowski <0mp_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 09:00:33 +0200
> "O. Hartmann" <ohartmann_at_walstatt.org> wrote:
>
> >In /etc/src.conf , therefore you should add something similar to (like
> >I added to mine):
> >
> >PORTS_MODULES=
> >PORTS_MODULES+=                         x11/nvidia-driver
> >PORTS_MODULES+=                         emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod
>
> Shouldn't it go into make.conf(5)? That's what the manual suggests.

Ans the man page should be fixed. By putting it into make.conf, it pollutes
the environment  of ever make(1) run on the system. (Yes, unlikely to ever
cause a problem,)

In src.conf it only impacts the builds of the system and ports. This is why
src.conf was created a few years ago. In fact, it was originally supposed
to only impact the build of the system, but the ports Mk files were
modified to pull it in, to, much to my annoyance. I liked being able to
modify compile options just for the system without them breaking ports
builds.

Simple rule... any definition used by make(1) only for system builds
belongs in /etc/sec.conf.
E-mail: rkoberman_at_gmail.com