Re: ntpd as ntpd user question

From: Chris H <bsd-lists_at_BSDforge.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2018 22:43:12 -0700
On Mon, 23 Jul 2018 12:57:28 +0200 "Niclas Zeising" <zeising+freebsd_at_daemonic.se> said

> On 07/21/18 19:56, RW wrote:
> > On Sat, 21 Jul 2018 11:14:45 -0600
> > Ian Lepore wrote:
> >

> >> There's a "pre-world" stage of mergemaster (-Fp option I think) which
> >> isn't needed often, but one of the times it is needed is apparently
> >> when new user ids are added.
> >
> > I wish mergemaster had an option to just add new users and groups,
> > rather than merging the files.
>
> etcupdate is usually pretty good at automatically merge updates to files
> without user interaction, even when the files are locally edited as
> well.  For instance, I had no problem merging /etc/master.passwd and
> /etc/group for the ntp change.
> Regards
> --
> Niclas
FWIW I found mergemaster intimidating when I was first starting out. Not
because I didn't understand patch(1)/diff(1). I was well familiar there.
But I found it unintuitive. Despite the messages regarding it's usage.
Anyway. I finally developed a strategy that worked for me.
I start out with the standard

mergemaster -p

then the installworld
But I implement the following mergemster, thusly

mergemaster -vF

It dispenses with asking about all the files that only have revision
changes, and date differences, and just updates them, the -v portion,
just keeps "enlightened" as to wtf is actually happening during the
process.
Then all that's left are just some 5-9 files I need to deal with,
with mergemaster informing me that by default, it'll leave them
for me, to look at later. To which I reply Y. Done.
Knowing diff/patch, makes the resulting unmerged files a trivial
task, requiring perhaps 5-10 minutes while still at the console.
Then I reboot into the new system.

HTH

--Chris