Re: Vbox causing host crash/reboot on 12-current

From: Danilo Egêa Gondolfo <danilo_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2018 18:19:33 -0300
On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 5:25 PM Vladimir Kondratyev <vladimir_at_kondratyev.su>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am sure that crashes was caused by SMAP as I am faced with them too.
> I have made following patch to fix panic (attached)
> Apply it to portstree and rebuild emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod
>
> P.S. It is POC so no arch/SMAP autodetection
>
> On 8/7/18 6:14 PM, AN wrote:
> > Update:
> >
> > I found the revision:
> > https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=336876
> >
> > Use SMAP on amd64.
> >
> > Could this possibly cause VBox to crash and reboot the system?  Is
> > there a sysctl to disable?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 10:46 AM, AN <a.n.us_at_ieee.org> wrote:
> >> I recently started having severe instability on a workstation with
> >> VirtualBox.  I'm not sure if it was caused by the recent large ports
> >> update, or a recent commit that affected SMAP.  I can't seem to find
> >> that revision, would someone please post it and also the workaround to
> >> disable it, I would like to try it after work and see if disabling it
> >> allows VBox to work.  Is anyone else seeing this effect with Vbox?
> >>
> >> What I'm seeing is that as soon as a VM is started it reboots the
> >> host, totally reproducible every time.  I tried to rebuild VBox and
> >> kmod, and also some qt5 ports but still not working.  Any help is
> >> appreciated, thanks for reading.
> >>
> >> Regards

Same problem here, but I'm getting two different panics:

cpuid = 3; apic id = 03
fault virtual address   = 0x28
fault code              = supervisor read data, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x20:0xffffffff80c7e806
stack pointer           = 0x28:0xfffffe009ced64c0
frame pointer           = 0x28:0xfffffe009ced64f0
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, long 1, def32 0, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 42332 (VBoxNetAdpCtl)

and

cpuid = 2; apic id = 02
fault virtual address   = 0x804209ab8
fault code              = supervisor read data, protection violation
instruction pointer     = 0x20:0xffffffff835cc164
stack pointer           = 0x28:0xfffffe00b33031f0
frame pointer           = 0x28:0xfffffe00b33031f0
code segment            = base r
<https://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/base/>x0, limit 0xfffff, type
0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, long 1, def32 0, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0

current process = 21985 (VBoxHeadless)