gif does not work when going over IPv6 on current

From: Lars Schotte <lars_at_gustik.eu>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2018 22:47:22 +0200
Hey folks,

when you create a gif with IPv6 tunnel endpoints
tcpdump on the underlying interface will show you some kind of error
that 0 != 6 and packets will be dropped.

IP6 version error: 0 != 6
repeating for each packet.
happens only while sending. receiving works.

This happens only on 12-current as I am aware, 11-stable works good.
I worked around this issue by setting IPv4 tunnel endpoints.

And this issue is not related to what you transport. You can do IPv4 or
IPv6 ( proto 4 or proto 41 ) the issue remains the same.

With IPv4 tunnel endpoints ( inet tunnel ) it does dualstack w/o any
issues.

Strange. Isn't it?

--
 Lars Schotte