Newly upgraded -CURRENT box does not boot

From: Brett Gmoser <freebsdcurrent_at_codexterous.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 17:27:18 -0400
Hi there,

I was told to e-mail these addresses with this.

I did an `svn update` on /usr/src last night, build world and kernel as
usual. This morning I installed the kernel, booted into single user,
installed world and did mergemaster -Ui as usual. The new kernel had
booted fine. Upon reboot, the machine will no longer boot:

     Startup error in /boot/lua/loader.lua:
     LUA ERROR: cannot open /boot/lua/loader.lua: no such file or directory

     can't load 'kernel'

Many things in the bootloader do not work, including "boot kernel.old",
"ls /boot", and various other things (most if not all just result in
"Command failed"). Interestingly, "ls /mnt" works, other directories do
not. That's the only clue I have.

I'm able to reboot in an installer image and mount the drive just fine.
Everything is there and is as expected, including /boot/lua/loader.lua.

I re-installed everything in /usr/src/stand (chroot'd on the installer
image, and "cd /usr/src/stand && make clean all install"). This did not
fix the problem.

Does anybody happen to have any ideas?

Thanks,

-Brett