Re: svn commit: r338204 - in head: etc etc/defaults sbin/devfs

From: Brad Davis <brd_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 09:45:56 -0600
On Thu, Aug 23, 2018, at 8:34 AM, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> > On 8/22/18 8:37 PM, Mark Millard wrote:
> > > I'm just using this move as an example for some more
> > > general questions.
> > >
> > > After this change when I look at:
> > >
> > > https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=devfs.conf&apropos=0&sektion=5&manpath=FreeBSD+12-current&arch=default&format=html
> > >
> > > I see in the man page:
> > >
> > > FILES
> > >      /etc/devfs.conf
> > >      /usr/share/examples/etc/devfs.conf
> > >
> > > So . . .
> > >
> > > Roughly when are the "FreeBSD+12-current" man pages going to
> > > track the moves? Once everything has been moved?
> > >
> > > Are the examples also going to be moved/reorganized? Similar
> > > timing question to the above (if yes).
> >
> > The installed location of the files doesn't change, only their location
> > in the source tree.  It does seem that share/examples has not been
> > handled to date, as they probably belong in the same package as the thing
> > they are samples of.

Yes, that was an oversight on my part that I am looking into.

> > I really wish that the Makefiles were smart enough to use .PATH or
> > some such to reach over into ${SRCTOP}/etc to find the files without
> > requiring them to actually move in the tree since it's not very
> > intuitive where to find many of these files now.  (And the source
> > locations are starting to no longer mimic the layout on the host,
> > such as syslog.d being "flattened".)
>
> I believe it would of been possible, and not too much work,
> to leave all of it in ${SRCTOP}/etc by adding CONF-foo:
> targets that did the write things with variable settings
> and calling make ${SRCTOP}/etc/Makefile CONF-foo from the
> respective utilities.

But we never had all files in etc/ consistently anyways, so this is kind of a moot point..

> I also believe that certain of these files just belong in
> a pkg called etc, these are the files that are always needed
> for a functional system, like services (ok, if you remove
> all networking you do not need that one, but it clearly
> does not belong with the option services_mkdb that simply
> makes /var/db/services.db.)  Anyway, any files that got
> moved into libc are always going to be installed, correct?
> I do not believe you can make a running system without
> libc, so why move them?  Do we support a static link anymore?

It makes little sense to have an etc pkg and for people building embedded systems or thousands of jails..  Not to mention the people that will pkg delete FreeBSD-sendmail\* and want to see all the sendmail related configs gone as well.

> But when brd was asked what his plans where we got very
> little feedback, and now, what I feel is a poorly thought
> out implementation.

I held a session at BSDCan and in fact at every DevSummit I have been to (AsiaBSDCon, BSDCam, EuroBSDCon, vBSDCon, ..).  Later I was asked to post on -arch and I did.. With very little feedback and none from you..

Regards,
Brad Davis