Re: drm / drm2 removal in 12

From: blubee blubeeme <gurenchan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 11:13:29 +0800
On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 10:51 AM cpghost <cpghost_at_cordula.ws> wrote:

> On 8/25/18 5:34 PM, Dave Cottlehuber wrote:
> >> On Sat, Aug 25, 2018 at 5:09 PM Stefan Hagen <
> sh+freebsd-current_at_codevoid.de>
> >
> > Ditto. I'd like to express my heartfelt thanks for all the people who
> have been
> > working on the drm-next code for over 2 years now. It's fantastic and an
> > incredible piece of effort to pull it all together.
>
> Same here. A big THANK YOU to the Graphics Team for drm-next.
> I've been running it on STABLE with amdgpu driver on an RX 580
> at 4K res, and had ZERO issues with it so far... except for broken
> opencl on drm-stable-kmod, but I can live with that until its fixed.
>
> > A+++++++++++
> > Dave
>
> -cpghost.
>

> There's a whole lot of cheerleading and that's wonderful keep it up. Enjoy
building and applying your patches no one will take that away from you guys.

Although the way you guys continually dodge, deflect and run away from 3
simple questions is astonishing, see below.

You guys can keep on cheerleading but that still doesn't answer the
questions that I have asked numerous time.

Cheerleading does not solve engineering problems, it's just noise.

I'll post this again to keep the focus on the issue at hand.

If The Graphics team has already done these tests, show us.
If The Graphics team has not, then maybe they should take some time to do
the work required get the code submitted upstream.

===============================
1) Take a [test] system with the current graphics stack installed and
working.
2) Apply your patches to remove the drm from base to create a port
3) update the working [test] system after applying your changes

How does your changes affect a [test] system that is already up and running?

Have any of you guys tried that? Do you have any documentation on how it'll
affect users.

You guys want to remove things from the current system but you come with;
it works for us hobbyists.
Where do users go to get steps to do all of this stuff?

You've repeatedly said what you want to do sure, but have you tested it?