Re: head's /usr/src/UPDATING vs. "LOADER_DEFAULT_INTERP, documented in build(7)": not documented yet

From: Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 21:35:35 +0200
Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com> writes:
> But when I look at [...] the installed build(7) for head -r338319 I do
> not find any references to LOADER_DEFAULT_INTERP .

It was added to build(7) in r338043:

     LOADER_DEFAULT_INTERP  Defines what interpreter the default loader
                            program will have.  Valid values include “4th”,
                            “lua”, and “simp”.  This creates the default link
                            for /boot/loader to the loader with that
                            interpreter.  It also determines what interpreter
                            is compiled into userboot.

> I have assumed that my long-in-use amd64 virtual-box context that I
> run and update FreeBSD in (under macOS) just automatically updated
> sufficiently via installkernel and installworld after building.

Correct.  The loader and its support files (4th and lua) are built by
'make buildworld' and installed by 'make installworld'.  The source code
is in /usr/src/stand.

> (This assumes that all the changes are in the freebsd-ufs partition
> involved and that the freebsd-boot partition involved need not be
> updated.)

The freebsd-boot partition contains the code that loads the loader and
should not need updating.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des_at_des.no