Re: ALPHA3 niggles

From: Brian Scott <bscott_at_bunyatech.com.au>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2018 12:51:58 +1000
On 28/8/18 11:45 pm, Emmanuel Vadot wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 22:10:18 +1000
> Brian Scott <bscott_at_bunyatech.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just a couple of small observations with 12.0-ALPHA3 from testing on a
>> Raspberry-Pi 3:
>>
>> *    The boot loader (I presume the new LUA based one) is sending escape
>> sequences to the screen to format up a boot menu. The screen doesn't
>> recognise them and shows a series of ^[ style sequences instead.
>  If it's stuff like that :
> https://people.freebsd.org/~manu/RPI2-HDMI.jpg it's known, we should
> remove the beastie menu from the image I think
Very similar:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0w4buscnk2ec7ez/2018-08-29%2011.56.51.jpg?dl=0

This is using an HDMI attached monitor. I disconnected the serial
console adapter last week and so haven't seen what it looks like over that.

I'm a bit of a fan of the beastie menu as a general rule so it would be
sad to lose it. Still, if the EFI console can't handle the instructions
I'm thinking that some simplified version of menu would have to suffice.

>> *    The timeout countdown of the boot loader has reverted to very slow.
>> The loader did this earlier in the year on -CURRENT but had obviously
>> been fixed for a few months now. Maybe some change needs to be adapted
>> from the old to the new loader.
>  I don't have this problem on my RPI3B+ with latest ALPHA snapshot.
>  The patch is still in the u-boot-rpi3 port
> (https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/sysutils/u-boot-rpi3/files/patch-lib_efi__loader_efi__console.c?revision=468630&view=markup)
> so I don't know what going on for you.
One second on the timer takes about 5 seconds of wall clock time. As I
said, it had been good for a few months now but was slow earlier in the
year. This is the freebsd loader not u-boot unless I completely
misunderstand the booting process (also possible), although I suppose
u-boot is still providing the console services.

The u-boot countdown timer appears to move quickly enough that I haven't
really paid any attention to it.