Re: nda(4) does not work (reliably) in VMware Workstation

From: Yuri Pankov <yuripv_at_yuripv.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 02:43:29 +0300
Chuck Tuffli wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 8, 2018 at 12:28 PM Yuri Pankov <yuripv_at_yuripv.net
> <mailto:yuripv_at_yuripv.net>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     Running -HEAD in VMware Workstation 15.0.2 VM.  Trying to use nda(4)
>     instead of nvd(4) shows the following list of errors, and eventually
>     panics:
>
>     https://people.freebsd.org/~yuripv/nda1.png
>     https://people.freebsd.org/~yuripv/nda2.png
>
>     nvd(4) works without issues in this VM.  nda(4) works as well in VMware
>     ESXi VMs.  Is this a problem with WS NVMe emulation?
>

> Since I don't have access to ESXi, the attached is a speculative fix. If
> it works, I'll clean this up a bit and get it committed. If not, please
> post the output from:
> nvmecontrol identtify nvme0

Thank you, it seems to help (was seeing the issue previously immediately
after boot).  BTW, the ESXi VM works fine with nda, it's only the
Workstation that had the problem.  Comparing `nvmecontrol identify`
output from both, the only difference is (first is WS, second is ESXi):

-Dataset Management Command:  Not Supported
+Dataset Management Command:  Supported