Re: Composite PCI devices in FreeBSD (mfd in Linux)

From: Anthony Jenkins <Scoobi_doo_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2018 22:26:36 -0500
On 12/11/18 9:02 AM, Emiel Kollof wrote:
> Anthony Jenkins schreef op 2018-12-10 18:00:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm trying to port an Intel PCI I2C controller from Linux to
>> FreeBSD.  Linux represents this device as an MFD (multi-function
>> device), meaning it has these "sub-devices" that can be handed off to
>> other drivers to actually attach devices to the system. The Linux
>> "super" PCI device is the intel-lpss-pci.c, and the "sub" device is
>> i2c-designware-platdrv.c, which represents the DesignWare driver's
>> "platform" attachment to the Linux system. FreeBSD also has a
>> DesignWare I2C controller driver, ig4(4), but it only has PCI and
>> ACPI bus attachment implementations.
>
> Might this also be relevant for i2c-hid devices, like some touchpads
> (Elantech for example)?

Theoretically, yes.  Once this I2C controller is added, then the
parallel effort to add support for I2C HID devices should add support
for Elantech I2C touchpads.

The bit I'm doing (support for an Intel MFD I2C controller) is based on
an old thread on mobile_at_.  I just recently obtained a laptop that has a
couple such I2C controllers (touchpad works, but touchscreen doesn't).

Original Elantech touchpad support thread -
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-mobile/2017-August/013617.html
FreeBSD i2c-hid support - https://reviews.freebsd.org/D16698

Anthony