Re: workaround for VMware WS NAT bug triggered by OpenSSH 7.8p1 changes

From: Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_cschubert.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2018 01:40:16 -0800
In message <865zvkpphn.fsf_at_next.des.no>, =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rg
rav?= w
rites:
> Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_cschubert.com> writes:
> > I know our code is full of workarounds and theirs probably too. The
> > question is should we? IMO no.
>
> Unfortunately, the world is imperfect and does not care about your
> opinion.

Correct. I know that too well.

>  90% of the hardware we run on deviates from the spec in some
> way or another and requires workarounds in the kernel.  We even have a
> whole system of quirks for disks and USB devices.  Libfetch contains
> workarounds for buggy HTTP servers.  OpenSSH has hundreds of lines of
> code devoted to identifying the server and selecting workarounds to
> apply.  Without those workarounds, FreeBSD would not be a viable piece
> of software.  Wishing they weren't needed is a waste of time and energy.

Well, the patch isn't a hackish as some workounds. This probably
doesn't warrant a MK_option however since it changes the default, a
mention in the man page should be made.

I'm still of the opinion that a management solution would be better,
which I'm sure RH is taking.

I've been in this business long enough to know that it's a miracle that
any of this stuff works. Much of it is held together with bubble gum
and string.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_cschubert.com>