Re: CURRENT and HD3000: i915 failing badly

From: Guido Falsi <mad_at_madpilot.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2018 17:52:00 +0100
On 02/01/18 09:30, O. Hartmann wrote:
> Hello out there,
>
> I got my hands on a Fujitsu Lifebook E751 manufactured 8/2011. The CPU is
> a Core i5-2520M, 4GB RAM and QM67 chipset, with an integrated HD3000 graphics.
> The display is on this model a Non-Glare HD+ display (1920x1080, I guess).
>
> Neither FreeBSD 11.1-RELENG from USB flash nor 12-CURRENT as of 25th January
> work with the display: after the kernel has booted, I see only distortion and
> garbage on the screen. I checked with a recent Ubuntu and the Linux system is
> capable of showing nice and fancy graphics - but FreeBSD seems to be incapable
> to produce any serious console picture on this 6+ years old HD3000 chipset.
> What is the special case on this HD3000 and why isn't FreeBSD supporting it
> properly - or am I doing something wrong?

As others have told you you need to load the kms driver, you could
preload it via loader prompt.

otherwise to get to the console I've had luck with the "mode" command at
the loader prompt. mode 0 or mode 2 usually, you can try a few.

I can't find a list of modes to point you to, but it should be a
standard group of vesa modes.

This can be fixed later forcing the console to use the vt driver and

Guido Falsi <mad_at_madpilot.net>