Re: openssl in base should install c_rehash

From: Jung-uk Kim <jkim_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 19:35:55 -0500
On 02/08/2018 18:51, Ian Lepore wrote:
> On Thu, 2018-02-08 at 17:47 -0500, Jung-uk Kim wrote:
>> On 02/08/2018 17:31, Chris H wrote:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>> Couldn't this be in $base? I'd like to vote yes. :-)
>> From OpenSSL 1.1.0, openssl(1) added "rehash" command.
>>
>> https://www.openssl.org/docs/man1.1.0/apps/rehash.html
>>
>> I don't think we need yet another implementation in the base.
>
> But on a machine I just set up last weekend using -current I get:
>
>     ian_at_th > openssl rehash
>     openssl:Error: 'rehash' is an invalid command.
>     ian_at_th > openssl version
>     OpenSSL 1.0.2n-freebsd  7 Dec 2017
>
> Are we going to update to 1.1.0 soon?

When I find some free time.  I don't know how "soon", however.

> If not, how does it help that a version we don't use has rehash
> built in?

We will have the feature when we import OpenSSL 1.1.0.  Knowing that it
is obsoleted by the upstream, I don't want to add an equivalent script
in the base.

If it is really necessary, you can always install the c_rehash script
(security/openssl), openssl with rehash command
(security/openssl-devel), openssl with certhash command
(security/libressl), etc. from the ports tree.

BTW, we never had it in the base and it was removed from head src tree
more than 5 years ago.  Why is it so important now? :-(

Jung-uk Kim