How to find CPU microcode version ?

From: Kurt Jaeger <lists_at_opsec.eu>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 11:41:37 +0100
Hi!

How do I find the microcode version a Intel CPU is currently using ?

Background:

When Spectre/Meltdown hit, Intel released new microcode around 20180108.

I've used the devcpu-data port at that time to update the
microcode at that time, and the box in question developed
strange instability issues approx. since 14th of Februar.

It had two updates since 8th of January, to r328013 on the 16th of Jan.
and to r328899 on the 6th of February.

Around the 14th, processes started to be killed for out of swapspace,
even if the box had almost no load at all.

pid 1056 (mutt), uid 104, was killed: out of swap space
pid 536 (devd), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
pid 15093 (exim), uid 26, was killed: out of swap space
pid 91868 (mutt), uid 104, was killed: out of swap space
pid 1086 (sshd), uid 104, was killed: out of swap space

Reboot of the box and waiting a few hours and the problem re-occured.

The box has 32 GB RAM and 34 GB swap, which never was utilized
beyond a few hundred MBs.

Moving the two disks involved to a very similar hardware and
the 'dying' stopped.

The 'strange box' runs a debian version now for 24 hours, no problems.

--
pi_at_opsec.eu            +49 171 3101372                         2 years to go !