Re: ACPI panic on boot with new Lua loader and other minor issues

From: David Wolfskill <david_at_catwhisker.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 06:39:41 -0800
On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 03:21:50PM +0100, Juan Ramón Molina Menor wrote:
> I have done a full build of r329555 to test the new Lua boot loader.
>
> Both the new and the old kernels panic after being loaded with:
>
> panic: running without device atpic requires a local APIC
>
> For reasons unknown, ACPI is off, as shown by David Wolfskill in a
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2018-February/068497.html

That has been fixed (for me, at least).  My last two build/smoke-tests
were at r329517 and r329561; I believe that r329366 was the fix for ACPI
detection/setting.

> OK show hint.acpi.0.disabled
> 1
>
> Setting ACPI to On resolves the issue.
>
> Also, I can not stop boot2 to try to use the copy of the Forth loader:
> the keyboard only becomes responsive at the loader stage.

> There is an error during this stage:

> Failed to open config: ’/boot/loader.conf.local’

IIUC, that's merely an informational message, not an error.  (None of my
systems have a /boot/loader.conf.local, either.)

> Moreover, the "boot [kernel]" loader command does not work:
>
> OK ls /boot/kernel.old/kernel
>      /boot/kernel.old/kernel
> OK boot kernel.old
> Command failed
> OK boot /boot/kernel.old/kernel
> Command failed
> OK boot kernel
> Command failed
>
> On the other hand, just "boot" works.

And the Lua loader permits kernel selection, as well (as the Forth
laoder has).

> Finally, the double lines drawing a frame around the loader menu do not
> work with the new loader and are replaced by ? characters in a box.

That has also been fixed for me (as of r329517).

> Hope it helps,
> Juan

Peace,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill				david_at_catwhisker.org
The circus around that memo helps confirm that Mr. Trump is unfit for office.