Re: ACPI panic on boot with new Lua loader and other minor issues

From: Kyle Evans <kevans_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 14:21:05 -0600
Hello!

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 8:21 AM, Juan Ramón Molina Menor <listjm_at_club.fr> wrote:
> I have done a full build of r329555 to test the new Lua boot loader.
>
> Both the new and the old kernels panic after being loaded with:
>
> panic: running without device atpic requires a local APIC
>
> For reasons unknown, ACPI is off, as shown by David Wolfskill in a previous
> message:
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2018-February/068497.html
>
> OK show hint.acpi.0.disabled
> 1
>
> Setting ACPI to On resolves the issue.

As David noted, this should actually Just Work (TM) now. Can you break
into a loader prompt with just the forth loader and tell me what "show
hint.acpi.0.rsdp" looks like?

> Also, I can not stop boot2 to try to use the copy of the Forth loader: the
> keyboard only becomes responsive at the loader stage.

Hmm...

> There is an error during this stage:

> Failed to open config: ’/boot/loader.conf.local’

David's diagnosis of this is right- this is more of an informational
message that you don't need to worry about.

> Moreover, the "boot [kernel]" loader command does not work:
>
> OK ls /boot/kernel.old/kernel
>     /boot/kernel.old/kernel
> OK boot kernel.old
> Command failed
> OK boot /boot/kernel.old/kernel
> Command failed
> OK boot kernel
> Command failed
>
> On the other hand, just "boot" works.

It seems that the Forth loader might be doing something sneaky and
replacing the standard common "boot" with a Forth boot that handles
this a lot better. CC'ing dteske_at_ so they can confirm.

> Finally, the double lines drawing a frame around the loader menu do not work
> with the new loader and are replaced by ? characters in a box.

Interesting, I'll look into that... anything interesting/unique about
your setup? r329387 should have addressed one potential cause of this,
but I see you're past that.