Re: ACPI panic on boot with new Lua loader and other minor issues

From: Kyle Evans <kevans_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 15:57:24 -0600
On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 3:37 PM, Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2018 1:23 PM, "Kyle Evans" <kevans_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> Hello!
>
> On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 8:21 AM, Juan Ramón Molina Menor <listjm_at_club.fr>
> wrote:
>> I have done a full build of r329555 to test the new Lua boot loader.
>>
>> Both the new and the old kernels panic after being loaded with:
>>
>> panic: running without device atpic requires a local APIC
>>
>> For reasons unknown, ACPI is off, as shown by David Wolfskill in a
>> previous
>> message:
>>
>> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2018-February/068497.html
>>
>> OK show hint.acpi.0.disabled
>> 1
>>
>> Setting ACPI to On resolves the issue.
>
> As David noted, this should actually Just Work (TM) now. Can you break
> into a loader prompt with just the forth loader and tell me what "show
> hint.acpi.0.rsdp" looks like?
>
>> Also, I can not stop boot2 to try to use the copy of the Forth loader: the
>> keyboard only becomes responsive at the loader stage.
>
> Hmm...
>
>> There is an error during this stage:

>> Failed to open config: ’/boot/loader.conf.local’
>
> David's diagnosis of this is right- this is more of an informational
> message that you don't need to worry about.
>
>> Moreover, the "boot [kernel]" loader command does not work:
>>
>> OK ls /boot/kernel.old/kernel
>>     /boot/kernel.old/kernel
>> OK boot kernel.old
>> Command failed
>> OK boot /boot/kernel.old/kernel
>> Command failed
>> OK boot kernel
>> Command failed
>>
>> On the other hand, just "boot" works.
>
> It seems that the Forth loader might be doing something sneaky and
> replacing the standard common "boot" with a Forth boot that handles
> this a lot better. CC'ing dteske_at_ so they can confirm.
>

> Indeed, it does.
>
> Loader.4th defines boot. Search for ': boot' to see it.

I've created D14442 [1] to improve this situation a little bit. We
should also either:

1.) Provide a way for lua to register a function to handle a loader command, or
2.) Provide a way for lua/forth to tell the common boot what modules to load.

These both entail a good amount of work and quite a few places to
fail, but one of them needs to happen. =(

[1] https://reviews.freebsd.org/D14442