Re: pkg does not recognize correct kernel version

From: Conrad Meyer <cem_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 10:19:02 -0800
On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 2:38 PM, Ronald Klop <ronald-lists_at_klop.ws> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 22:05:51 +0100, Konstantin Belousov
> <kostikbel_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Look at the man page.  pkg reads version from the /bin/sh ELF FreeBSD
>

> Which man page? I can't find it in pkg help update or pkg help upgrade or
> man pkg.

I had to dig for quite a while to find a reference (pkg.conf(5)):

     ABI: string      The ABI of the package you want to install.  Default:
                      derived from the ABI of the /bin/sh binary.

>> version note:
>> orion% file /bin/ls
>> /bin/ls: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (FreeBSD),
>> dynamically linked, interpreter /libexec/ld-elf.so.1, for FreeBSD 11.1
>> (1101506), FreeBSD-style, stripped
>>
>> Update world past the __FreeBSD_version which is reported for the
>> repository.
>

> Does this mean I always have to do a *clean* buildworld after every version
> bump? This takes ages.

You could also do a -DNO_CLEAN buildworld.

Or you can continue to override with "-o OSVERSION=foo", although that
may eventually result in broken packages.  In general the OSVERSION is
bumped conservatively (more often than will actually result in
breakage), so you can get away with the easy workaround for a while
between buildworlds.

Best,
Conrad