Re: kernel: failed: cg 5, cgp: 0xd11ecd0d != bp: 0x63d3ff1d

From: Rodney W. Grimes <freebsd-rwg_at_pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 05:50:09 -0800 (PST)
> [...]
> > inconsistencies on the console/messages/logs, the box crashes spontanously. Now
> > (today) I could trigger the reboot by starting "make -j4 buildworld
> > buildkernel" and after showing the initial compiler statements/build framework
> > statements, the box went to Nirwana. A well known phenomenon right now.
> >
> > I checked now the consistency of the filesystem, here is the result of
> > the /usr/obj tree, which is a dedicated GPT partition
> > (label: /dev/gpt/usr.obj):
> >

> > [...]
> >  root_at_box1:~ # fsck -fy /dev/gpt/usr.obj
> > ** /dev/gpt/usr.obj
> > ** Last Mounted on /usr/obj
> > ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
> > ** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
> > UNALLOCATED  I=515  OWNER=root MODE=0
> > SIZE=0 MTIME=Feb 22 07:25 2018
> > NAME=/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/BOX1/config.c.new
> >
> > UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY
> >
> > REMOVE? yes
> >
> > DIRECTORY CORRUPTED  I=169691  OWNER=root MODE=40775
> > SIZE=1536 MTIME=Feb 22 05:16 2018
> > DIR=/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/BOX1/modules/usr/src/sys/modules/nfsd
> >
> > UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY
> >
> > SALVAGE? yes
> >
> > ** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
> > ** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
> > ** Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups
> > FREE BLK COUNT(S) WRONG IN SUPERBLK
> > SALVAGE? yes
> >
> > SUMMARY INFORMATION BAD
> > SALVAGE? yes
> >
> > BLK(S) MISSING IN BIT MAPS
> > SALVAGE? yes
> >
> > 126922 files, 848197 used, 1178482 free (89210 frags, 136159 blocks, 4.4%
> > fragmentation)
> >
> > ***** FILE SYSTEM MARKED DIRTY *****
> >
> > ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
> >
> > ***** PLEASE RERUN FSCK *****
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > When doing a installworld, I pre-emptively perform in single user mode before
> > mounting the partitions a "fsck -yf" two times. In most cases, the filesystem
> > are reported clean, but sometimes especially those under high I/O (/usr/src and
> > mostly /usr/obj on this build machine) there are reports of corruption.
> >
> > As I reported, the very same behaviour occured on three boxes simultanously and
> > I got rid of it by completely reformatting the SSDs (never had issues so far
> > with HDD based boxes!).
> >
> > I hope I can refurbish this weekend the remaining box and I could report, if
> > desired, whether this box returns to a healthy state as the others or if my
> > observation was a simple coincidence of issues ...
> >
> > Thanks for the patience,
> >

> I also see such problems only with SSDs.  Probably because the SSDs
> are buffering writes internally which never make it into the flash
> chips, although the SSDs report that the writes were completed.
>
> HDDs apparently don't do that, or have a smaller cache.
>
> I then also run fsck in single-user mode, but I explicitly do NOT
> use the journal, i.e., I do NOT run fsck -y.  But I guess that using
> fsck -fy is equivalent to not using the journal.

fsck -y is not the same as running fsck and answer the special question
that has been added to fix something.  (I believe this is to turn back on
the cgcksum thing).

Kirk would have to correct me if I am wrong there.

> In my case the SSDs are error free after doing the fsck without
> using the jounal until the next crash happens.  My box with a
> Ryzen 5 1600 tends to hang for no apparent reason, so I see these
> errors fairly frequently because I have to reset the box :(

Instead of running fsck -fy or fsck -y I would recommend running
'fsck' at single user and see what it finds, and what options
it might give you to "fix" or "enable".

--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes_at_freebsd.org