Re: panic: invalid bcd 194

From: Ian Lepore <ian_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2018 17:02:42 -0700
On Mon, 2018-01-01 at 09:54 +0100, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El día domingo, diciembre 31, 2017 a las 10:19:50a. m. -0700, Ian Lepore escribió:
>

> > > I will let the C720 over night under power while sitting in the boot menu,
> > > maybe this will fix the RTC battery issue.
> > >
> > Last time I worked on RTC stuff, cleaning this up got put on my "to-do
> > some day" list.  I think maybe that day has arrived.
> >
> > -- Ian
> For the moment we solved the issue by booting some older r28nnnn
> memstick, writing a correct date with ntpdate into the RTC and rebooted
> without poweroff. It seems that the RTC survives even some short
> powercyle.
>
> The CMOS battery is soldered on the motherboard of the Acer C720, i.e.
> no chance to be replaced.
>
> The issue must be fixed in FreeBSD, i.e. it should boot even with a
> broken RTC. Should I file a PR for this?
>
> I'm happy to test any patch for this.
>
> 	matthias

Okay, I've created a pair of patches for this.  The first adds some
common support routines usable by all RTC drivers with BCD hardware.
 The second one converts the atrtc driver to use those routines.  The
common code was tested using an i2c RTC chip, but I don't have an x86
testbed, so the atrtc patch is currently untested (it compiles).

The patches are available in a pair of phabricator reviews, plus I'll
attach them to this mail.  If the list scrubs the attachements, you can
download the patches from the phab urls below, just hit the Actions
button and look for Download Raw Diff.

https://reviews.freebsd.org/D13730
https://reviews.freebsd.org/D13731

-- Ian