Re: more fallout from removal of lint

From: Mark Heily <mark_at_heily.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2018 09:06:16 -0500
On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 6:17 AM, O. Hartmann <ohartmann_at_walstatt.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Jan 2018 09:33:08 -0500
> Shawn Webb <shawn.webb_at_hardenedbsd.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 01, 2018 at 05:14:00PM -0800, Don Lewis wrote:
> > > Since lint was removed from 12.0-CURRENT, it is not possible to build
> > > 11.1-STABLE on a 12.0-CURRENT host

There is a big difference between what is "possible" and what is
"supported".
Since CURRENT is branched off of STABLE, there is always a period of time
where the two build systems are compatible. During this time, it is
*possible*
to build STABLE on a CURRENT host.

However, the build system for CURRENT can be changed in
ways that make it incompatible with building STABLE. This is normal and
expected behavior for a development branch. It has never been a *supported*
option to mix and match source code from different branches on a single
host.

Can you try creating a 11.1-STABLE jail on your 12-CURRENT host, and
perform the build within the jail? I'm not clear on what role Poudriere
plays
in all of this, so that may take some additional work to straighten out.

Regards,

 - Mark