Re: more fallout from removal of lint

From: Mark Millard <markmi_at_dsl-only.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2018 21:39:03 -0800
[I need to be more careful about identifying
the context I'm referring to.]

On 2018-Jan-4, at 7:13 PM, Mark Millard <markmi at dsl-only.net> wrote:

> Mark Heily mark at heily.com wrote on
> Thu Jan 4 14:06:18 UTC 2018 :
>
>> the build system for CURRENT can be changed in
>> ways that make it incompatible with building STABLE. This is normal and
>> expected behavior for a development branch. It has never been a *supported*
>> option to mix and match source code from different branches on a single
>> host.

The original material below was tied to
buildworld buildkernel activity of itself.

This is somewhat different than having
COMPAT_FREEBSD*'s in the live kernel and
running an already correctly built, older
world in a jail based on such a newer
kernel and world.

> If I understand right, at the transition from
> stable/11 to release/12.0 and stable/12,
> stable/11 is supposed to be able to build 12
> as part of a source based upgrade. (Normally
> the most recent release/11.? should be able
> to as well? The oldest supported release/11.?
> as well?)
>
> So at certain times one direction of mixing
> seems to be supported for specific versions
> in order to allow progressing forward.
>
> That does not mean that the other direction
> is supported.

This can have implications for poudriere,
needing to use "pre-built distribution
options" instead of "build from source
options". There would be source around
that "will not be built from" but for
which the source tree is used in the
jail, at least to build ports that
contain modules. (This is another
case of having sources from multiple
branches on a single host. But
the usage is not for buildworld
buildkernel in this context.)

For custom configurations, one might
have to use, say, stable/11/ to build
a world that is then to be put in a
head/ context for use in poudriere.
This avoids building stable/11/
from a head/ context.

More direct jail use may be similar.
(I've only used jails via poudriere.)

Unlike for, say, stable/11/ vs.
stable/10/ there could be temporary
periods for head/ for which some
COMPAT_FREEBSD*'s might not work,
even if such is normally avoided.
This is a risk vs., say, stable/11/
running a jail that has a
stable/10/ world.

> On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 6:17 AM, O. Hartmann <ohartmann at walstatt.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2 Jan 2018 09:33:08 -0500
>> Shawn Webb <shawn.webb at hardenedbsd.org> wrote:

The below is tied to buildworld buildkernel
activity of itself.

> It does seem to me that having a head/ based
> system set up to do the stable/?? builds is
> backwards generally under the normal principles
> of operation. The other direction seems to be
> the general intent.
>
> Even having stable/11 try to build, say,
> stable/10 would seem to be backwards on
> the general principles if I've understood
> right. head/ is not actually essential to
> the issue.

===
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net