Re: Running FreeBSD on the Lenovo Thinkpad T470s (success)

From: Michael Gmelin <freebsd_at_grem.de>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2018 22:28:37 +0100
On 7. Jan 2018, at 21:32, Rodney W. Grimes <freebsd-rwg_at_pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net> wrote:

>>> Running carbon 5th gen I can't call my setup a success. Wireless iwm
>>> doesn't support even N and AC is not supported at all. The wifi is much
>>> slower then on my old machines. I'm going to replace the wifi card in
>>> mean time, any suggestions which one to buy?
>>>
>>> Graphics works perfectly. NVMe SSD with OPAL wouldn't allow machine to
>>> resume from sleep, sometimes it does after big timeout and writing
>>> errors to console, sometime it just reboots.
>>>
>>> Thinkpad Thunderbolt Dock Station, here is where things get
>>> interesting. If I boot machine connected to dock station, peripheral
>>> devices would work, external monitor, keyboard, and mouse. There's no
>>> other way I know to make it work. Once detached - it wouldn't see
>>> devices again. Booting and THEN attaching - the same, machine wouldn't
>>> see devices.
>>>
>>> Here is the device being seen (a lot of pcib*):
>>> pcib5_at_pci0:6:0:0:    class=0x060400 card=0x11112222 chip=0x15d38086
>>> rev=0x02 hdr=0x01
>>>   vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
>>>   device     = 'JHL6540 Thunderbolt 3 Bridge (C step) [Alpine Ridge
>>> 4C 2016]'
>>>   class      = bridge
>>>   subclass   = PCI-PCI
>>>

>>> For me the main concern is Thunderbolt thought, docking station is
>>> amazing thing. Any ideas and thought how to make it work would be
>>> highly appreciated.
>>
>> In my setup, plug/unplug events for display port don't work when docking (usually I'm not using a dock though). This means: Mouse, Keyboard can be plugged/unplugged as many time as I want at any point, while displays connected over display port only work when connected before starting X (and they don't disappear after disconnecting). Note that stopping X seems to fix this (so no reboot required), but I don't have the docking station myself (this is the Ultra Dock Pro or something - the one that connects at the bottom of the laptop).
>>
>> Also, in my setup wifi didn't work without adding iwm0 explicitly to cloned interfaces (which isn't something I wouldn't expect I have to do, but in this case I had to).
>
> Did you have a
>    wlans_iwm0="wlan0"
> in /etc/rc.conf?
> I do not know or see why putting iwm0 in cloned would do much of anything
> for a wlan device.
>
> Also note that is wlans as in plural, not wlan_iwm0.  A mistake I
> often make from finger memory.

I have

wlans_iwm0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP country de"

in rc.conf. Without adding

cloned_interfaces="iwm0"

wlan0 never shows up in ifconfig and wpa_supplicant never starts (that's current r326912, setup like described in my blog post).

I just double checked to confirm the behavior.

Best,
Michael