Re: r327359: cylinder checksum failed: cg0, cgp: 0x4515d2a3 != bp: 0xd9fba319 Dec 30 23:29:24 <0.2>

From: Mark Johnston <markj_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2018 10:33:56 -0500
On Thu, Jan 04, 2018 at 09:10:37AM +0100, Michael Tuexen wrote:
> > On 31. Dec 2017, at 02:45, Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 4:41 PM, O. Hartmann <ohartmann_at_walstatt.org> wrote:
> >
> >> On most recent CURRENT I face the error shwon below on /tmp filesystem
> >> (UFS2) residing
> >> on a Samsung 850 Pro SSD:
> >>
> >> UFS /dev/gpt/tmp (/tmp) cylinder checksum failed: cg 0, cgp: 0x4515d2a3 !=
> >> bp: 0xd9fba319
> >> handle_workitem_freefile: got error 5 while accessing filesystem
> >> UFS /dev/gpt/tmp (/tmp) cylinder checksum failed: cg 0, cgp: 0x4515d2a3
> >> != bp: 0xd9fba319
> >> handle_workitem_freefile: got error 5 while accessing filesystem
> >> UFS /dev/gpt/tmp (/tmp) cylinder checksum failed: cg 0, cgp: 0x4515d2a3
> >> != bp: 0xd9fba319
> >> handle_workitem_freefile: got error 5 while accessing filesystem
> >> UFS /dev/gpt/tmp (/tmp) cylinder checksum failed: cg 0, cgp: 0x4515d2a3
> >> != bp: 0xd9fba319
> >> handle_workitem_freefile: got error 5 while accessing filesystem
> >> UFS /dev/gpt/tmp (/tmp) cylinder checksum failed: cg 0, cgp: 0x4515d2a3
> >> != bp: 0xd9fba319
> >> handle_workitem_freefile: got error 5 while accessing filesystem
> >>
> >> I've already formatted the /tmp filesystem, but obviously without any
> >> success.
> >>
> >> Since I face such strange errors also on NanoBSD images dd'ed to SD cards,
> >> I guess there
> >> is something fishy ...
> >

> > It indicates a problem. We've seen these 'corruptions' on data in motion at
> > work, but I hacked fsck to report checksum mismatches (it silently corrects
> > them today) and we've not seen any mismatch when we unmount and fsck the
> > filesystem.
> Not sure this helps: But we have seen this also after system panics
> when having soft update journaling enabled. Having soft update journaling
> disabled, we do not observed this after several panics.
> Just to be clear: The panics are not related to this issue,
> but to other network development we do.

I saw the same issue this morning on a mirrored root filesystem after my
workstation came up following a power failure. fsck recovered using the
journal, and I subsequently saw a number of these checksum failures.
Upon shutdown, I saw the same handle_workitem_freefile errors as above.
I then ran a full fsck from single-user mode, which didn't turn up any
inconsistencies, and after that the checksum failure errors disappeared,
presumably because fsck fixed them.