Re: New NUMA support coming to CURRENT

From: Jeff Roberson <jroberson_at_jroberson.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 17:39:49 -1000 (HST)
Hello,

This work has been committed.  It is governed by a new 'NUMA' config
option and 'DEVICE_NUMA' and 'VM_NUMA_ALLOC' have both been retired.  This
option is fairly light weight and I will likely enable it in GENERIC
before 12.0 release.

I have heard reports that switching from a default policy of first-touch
to round-robin has caused some performance regression.  You can change the
default policy at runtime by doing the following:

cpuset -s 1 -n first-touch:all

This is the default set that all others inherit from.  You can query the
current default with:
cpuset -g -s 1

I will be investigating the regression and tweaking the default policy
based on performance feedback from multiple workloads.  This may take some
time.

numactl is still functional but deprecated.  Man pages will be updated
soonish.

Thank you for your patience as I work on refining this somewhat involved
feature.

Thanks,
Jeff