Re: r327359: cylinder checksum failed: cg0, cgp: 0x4515d2a3 != bp: 0xd9fba319 Dec 30 23:29:24 <0.2>

From: O. Hartmann <ohartmann_at_walstatt.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 21:16:56 +0100
Am Mon, 8 Jan 2018 09:12:16 -0700
Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com> schrieb:

> On Jan 8, 2018 8:34 AM, "Mark Johnston" <markj_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jan 04, 2018 at 09:10:37AM +0100, Michael Tuexen wrote:
> > > On 31. Dec 2017, at 02:45, Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com> wrote:

> 0x4515d2a3 !=

> cards,
> > >

> > > It indicates a problem. We've seen these 'corruptions' on data in
> motion at
> > > work, but I hacked fsck to report checksum mismatches (it silently
> corrects
> > > them today) and we've not seen any mismatch when we unmount and fsck the
> > > filesystem.
> > Not sure this helps: But we have seen this also after system panics
> > when having soft update journaling enabled. Having soft update journaling
> > disabled, we do not observed this after several panics.
> > Just to be clear: The panics are not related to this issue,
> > but to other network development we do.
>
> I saw the same issue this morning on a mirrored root filesystem after my
> workstation came up following a power failure. fsck recovered using the
> journal, and I subsequently saw a number of these checksum failures.
> Upon shutdown, I saw the same handle_workitem_freefile errors as above.
> I then ran a full fsck from single-user mode, which didn't turn up any
> inconsistencies, and after that the checksum failure errors disappeared,
> presumably because fsck fixed them.
>

> Yes. Fsck automatically fixes issues like that. It does it silently. I have
> patched to make it noisy, and the dozen cases I saw the errors, fsck was
> silent with my whiny patches. I can put them up for review if people want...
>
> Warner

within the past couple of weeks - or since the first occurence of these strange reports,
I have had mysterious crashes: when installing FreeBSD even the proper (recommended) way,
the box suddenly crashes out of the blue. The symptoms are always the same and the result
is also always the same: the box is unusable, the boot process is stuck at BTX halted
with a list of dumped CPU registers (I guess it is the CPU registers) and the filesystem
is corrupt. I have had this strange problem on several hosts with SSDs - I reported end
November/beginning of December 2017 of those crashes. On on machine I refomated the SSD
and did a playback from ab 'dump'-backup - since then those crashes went away. The box
now in question is the last of them not being traeted that way. it seems, there is
somewhere/somehow a minefield hidden and I have no clue what it could be :-(

I'm going to do the very same soon with the SSD of the remaining box - dump and restore.

I just wanted to note this for the record.

The crash happend with  FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT #14 r328409: Thu Jan 25 20:40:27 CET amd64.

Kind regards,

Oliver
2018

--
O. Hartmann

Ich widerspreche der Nutzung oder Übermittlung meiner Daten für
Werbezwecke oder für die Markt- oder Meinungsforschung (§ 28 Abs. 4 BDSG).