Re: How to add su to /rescue ?

From: Guy Helmer <guy.helmer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 14:13:40 -0500
> On Jul 9, 2018, at 6:54 AM, Julian H. Stacey <jhs_at_berklix.com> wrote:
>
> Hi current_at_
> I want to add su to /rescue, but got stuck on pam.
> Old unix su didn't suffer from pam.
> There's no #define in su to turn off pam.
> Man src.conf says WITHOUT_PAM is deprecated & does nothing.
>
> Can someone please offer a solution ?
> Or better to include a simple BSD su pre pam ?
> I would happily develop a patch for that.

Hi,

Aside from not being able to use pam from a static executable, please don’t try to make the crunched hard-linked executable in /rescue setuid-root (su is useless without it). That would mean anyone running /rescue/sh gets a root shell :-)

Conceptually, a separate crunchgen binary could be made for setuid-root purposes, but having a setuid-root binary in /rescue (outside of the normal hierarchy) makes me nervous.

Regards,
Guy