Re: aarch64-arm64 fails to build kernel 12-current raspberry pi 3

From: Dimitry Andric <dim_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 20:32:30 +0200
On 12 Jul 2018, at 15:23, Mark Millard via freebsd-toolchain <freebsd-toolchain_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 2018-Jul-12, at 2:44 AM, tech-lists <tech-lists at zyxst.net> wrote:
>
>> On 11/07/2018 17:21, Mark Millard wrote:
>>> It seems from the quoted material that neither kernel-toolchain nor
>>> build world was done before buildkernel . My understanding is that
>>> the intent is that one or the other be done first. (But for aarch64
>>> currently only buildworld works.)
>>
>> Thanks for this. I'm running a buildworld now.
>>
>> For how long has it been the case that buildworld is needed for buildkernel? Coming from amd64 and before that, i386, in situations where I've only wanted to install a custom kernel, I was firstly used to making and installing it from /sys/{i386,amd64}/conf. Then that broke a number of years ago. Then got used to making kernel in /usr/src with make buildkernel && make installkernel. And now this is broken, on aarch64-arm64. Nobody knows if it's accidental or policy.
>
> It has been true since clang added use of stdint.h to the kernel build.
> Prior to this stdint.h was  not needed to build the kernel for any
> architecture (as far as I know).

No, it's because sys/crypto/armv8/armv8_crypto_wrap.c includes
<arm_neon.h>, an intrinsics header, which in turn requires <stdint.h>.

This was introduced in https://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/base/308921,
and at the time resulted in similar build failures, specifically when
one attempted to build a new kernel, without building world or a new
toolchain first.

-Dimitry