Re: aarch64-arm64 fails to build kernel 12-current raspberry pi 3

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 08:27:10 -0700
On 2018-Jul-13, at 3:15 AM, tech-lists <tech-lists at zyxst.net> wrote:

> On 12/07/2018 19:32, Dimitry Andric wrote:
>> No, it's because sys/crypto/armv8/armv8_crypto_wrap.c includes
>> <arm_neon.h>, an intrinsics header, which in turn requires <stdint.h>.
>> This was introduced inhttps://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/base/308921,
>> and at the time resulted in similar build failures, specifically when
>> one attempted to build a new kernel, without building world or a new
>> toolchain first.
>
> Hi,
>
> Ok, it's finished building and installing. The command I used was this:
>
> # make -j10 buildworld && make -j10 buildkernel KERNCONF=RPI3

make -j10 buildworld buildkernel KERNCONF=RPI3

would have worked.

> and it all built, (so I'll close the PR I opened). Then I did make installkernel KERNCONF=RPI3 and because I thought might as well install everything now it's built, mergemaster -p and make installworld && mergemaster -Ui.
>
> So I take it then, that every time I want to build a kernel, I either have to do the above or use make kernel-toolchain. Is this correct?

If you first clear out the old build, then such would be true.
(Where, for targeting aarch64, kernel-toolchain needs to be
avoided.)

But you can buildkernel using the results of the existing
buildworld (or kernel-toolchain if it applies) when it is
okay to not clear out the old build first. (kernel
developers doing kernel development likely do this a lot.)

Another way to make tradeoffs is to use META_MODE so that
partial rebuilds are done, avoiding some of the strictly
unnecessary rebuild activity. This would involve
buildworld or kernel-toolchain (as appropriate for the
target architecture).

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com